Wednesday, August 07, 2019

I'm Already Tired of August

Need some good news?  Check out this link about the kindness of strangers.  In the midst of all the bad news, it was heartening to see some of the ways people illustrate the best of humanity in small acts of kindness.

Incoming Mail

from Teresa & Ricky
from Jacque
from Shasta


Outgoing Mail

postcards to the grands
Max
Mila
Bryce Eleanor



Garden

--The hummingbirds have enjoyed the obedient plant blooms.  :)   I've never seen them attracted to the blooms previously, but they like them this year.


Cosmos in the corner.  Notice the warped fencing.

--The Great Escape!  After transferring my worms to their prepared worm bin, I had to put the bin in the laundry room because of the heat, and Fee walked in the other morning to find that quite a few had decamped.  

Measures have been taken.  I'd been warned that after transferring them to a new bin this might happen. The worms seem more content now that they are more accustomed to their new home.

:) I'm quite excited about this project.  It is kind of like my compost pile in the back--I love seeing leaves, garden trimmings, apple cores, etc. turn into rich soil.   I like checking it and turning it.  (My husband finds me amusing: he thinks I'm a cheap date because he can make me happy with seeds, worms, and crafty stuff.
Much cheaper than jewelry.)

Feeding the worms chopped up banana peels, old lettuce, and past prime cherry tomatoes--then checking a few days later to find the food has disappeared is gratifying.  If I don't kill the worm hoard, I have a diverting activity that entertains me and will eventually provide plenty of black gold for the garden.



10 comments:

  1. So far we just have regular compost in the backyard. I'm not sure if the worms are surviving the heat, however. A couple months ago at Master Gardener meeting, we had a presentation on worm composting and she recommended red wigglers (your type of worms) inside, under the sink! Glad your worms are more contented now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to be fine now, but I admit when Fee called me in to see them on the floor, I was surprised. I think 86 degrees is all they can take outside, so here in Louisiana that means inside most of the year. And, no, I haven't named them. If Fee tells you so, he lies. :)

      Delete
  2. I love seeing your incoming and outgoing mail. It keeps me inspired. I just wish I had only one craft love like so many others. Then I could just keep playing and producing as inspiration strikes. But I’m all...do I sew? Do I paint? Do I collage? Shall I make a quilt, a fabric postcard, a paper postcard, a greeting card, an envelope art, scrapbook some photos?.........so many choices! But each is fun. Umm, I’ll take the jewelry thank you. Gardening isn’t my thing to do but I love seeing other gardening lovers gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about attention deficit in crafting! I skip from one thing to another leaving projects in progress to pick up later. Hopefully. :) I loved that you found and finished one of your quilt tops recently--love the reunion with a project from the past!

      Delete
  3. I love the grands' cards! What fun to have a friend who likes worms (and gives them names. Haven't you?!! :~)) I am all about this! And, I may need to plant an obedient plant next year, for I have a zillion hummingbirds! I have a new blog. I hope you will look me up at hilltoppost.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No individual names for the worms, but then, I can't tell them apart! Maybe when I get to know them a little better.... Off to check your new blog :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the good news link. We can definitely use that! I'm over August already. It's too hot and I don't feel like doing much but I love seeing your mail. I have got to get back to writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember looking forward to summer, but now--not so much. And August is the traditionally the hottest summer month, and I feel for all the kids who have already started school. Recess can't be much fun in this heat. The combination of heat and humidity zaps my energy, too, Iliana.

      How is your bookbinding going? I still love my Nancy Drew journal from, oh gosh, over ten years ago now!

      Delete
  5. Jen I'm fascinated by your worms. So you ordered them online, then you put them in the plastic bin with what? I once tried this with worms and newspapers but it didn't work. And I'd like to try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many videos online, and I looked at a bunch of them. Here are a few links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1UR3wOj5Tk ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb9gK9Ia0kY ; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJC08qsgXuarRzpQLOPc5g/videos

      I layered cut up cardboard, shredded paper, and some organic compost (because that's what I had; I would have used peat moss, but didn't have it at the time) and moistened it. Then waited for 5 days or so before adding worms and covering with dampened newspaper. I'm still looking at videos and learning as I go, but the worms seem fine. :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!