Sunday, July 28, 2019

crumpets, mail, and stuff

I was "crumbing" the toast crumbs a few days ago, and my head was saying, "crumb, crumbing,  crumble" as I swept the crumbs into my small crumber pan.  

The word crumpet came to mind, and it occurred to me that although I have known the word (as in "tea and crumpets") forever, but had no idea what a crumpet really was.  Was it similar to a scone?

A dash to the computer because the need to know was compelling.  Not a muffin, not a scone.  

"Crumpets are the quintessential afternoon tea treat, served warm with lots of butter. Different from the original recipe of flat griddle cakes, the soft, spongy crumpets we know today are a product of the Victorian era. It is the extra yeast in the batter which creates the soft texture and the myriad of little holes on the top, perfect for soaking up butter."  Source


source

They look like fat pancakes, don't they?  If you follow the above link, you will find a recipe; there are plenty of other recipes online.   Now when I read about someone serving crumpets, I'll have the correct image in mind.

a pretty antique crumber
My crumbers are actually plastic, although I do have a pretty silver-plated crumber pan
 that I picked up at a flea market years ago (just the pan, without the brush) somewhere.

Mail

Incoming
letter from Connie
postcard from Carla


Outgoing

Max made a snarky comment about a pun Mila made,
 so I started a long list of some good puns to include in his letters--
because 
Not all puns are bad.  Just sum.  :)
I've a nice collection now and grin when I choose one to include in his letters.


Three postcards from The Lost Word pack have gone out as well.
I hope they make the recipients as happy as the book 
and the postcards have made me.
to Suzie
to Carla
to Hannah


I started this post several days ago, and there are two more postcards I sent out without scanning them.  They were part of the Lost Words postcard pack and were as beautiful as the above examples.


Books/Reading:  
 Where the Crawdads Sing is every bit as good as everyone says.  My best friend kept asking if I'd read it yet (she can get very pushy) and in our last conversation, I finally agreed.  She was right--it is so beautifully written!  I found myself reading certain passages aloud to appreciate them even better.                                                                                                                                                                                                  And a bunch of mysteries, some science fiction, and historical mysteries--some of which are reviewed on my book blog.

Surprise:  Worms!  My husband was gone for a few days and came back with red wrigglers for my (in process) worm bin!  Let the fun begin!

I can see why they might be tempted.  :)

8 comments:

  1. So what do you make with your crumbs that you sweep into your crumb pan. Or is that like a dust pan and you dump it in the trash? That’s a pretty fancy brush for crumbs. But then again, all things way back when were pretty fancy. Wonderful mail! Snail mail is waaaaayyyy better than electronic mail. I’ll have to look up that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A table crumber is a tiny dust pan/brush for crumbs or wayward sugar or salt from the table or counter. :) Yes, they used to be made of silver, silver plate, celluloid, and I even saw a beautiful porcelain one without the brush once. I have plastic ones for the table and counter and for craft room upstairs. Now they call them mini dust pan sets, I think. Very handy. I started with two old ones, but mostly use the plastic ones now.

      Delete
  2. They look like a bit like English muffins, the kind made by Thomas's. Everytime I see you have incoming mail, I think to myself that I should send you some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, do send me some. I promise to send you some back, Shasta!

      Delete
  3. My pancakes do look almost like crumpets. Maybe, I'll revise a bit and give them a try. The mail, both that going out and that coming in, is looking mighty good. What fun! Worms? We need to hear that story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worms! Yes, I'm working on a worm bin to get the "black gold" of worm castings. :) We will see if I am able to keep the little wrigglers alive. I've thought about it for several years, but never followed through, but enjoyed looking at Youtube videos with instructions. A great way to get rid of kitchen waste: apple cores, broccoli stems, banana peels, wilted lettuce, etc. At least, that is my hope.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy the worms. When the grandies were littles, I was big into gardening and would pick up the worms for the kids to "experience." Haha, it was just the term to convince the girls that playing with earthworms might be okay after all.
    I sewed a couple of post cards to send to the girls. Inspired (in part) by your snail mail. I promised to bring them to the next BRMQG first. They will go to Rayne via snail mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 15 years ago, I took part in exchange of fabric postcards. It was fun and I still have the ones I received. Then several years ago, Annie of Annie's Musings inspired me to make more! Now, you are the inspiration to make another batch! :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!