Thursday, July 19, 2018

Miscellaneous

Clean/Organize/Catch Up

I'm not at all certain how I can make such big messes in such a short time.  Maybe because I get distracted with ideas when I'm crafting, leaving one mess to start another.  The result is that I am in need of an organizing professional and a change of personality.

Another problem is getting book reviews written.  I have fifteen reviews scheduled on my book blog and more to write.  I get advanced reader copies (both in print and ebooks) up to 9 months in advance of publication.  Sometimes, I write the reviews and schedule them quickly.  Sometimes I don't.  If I don't do it quickly, they pile up.  When they pile up, I feel overwhelmed and procrastinate even more.  Since I get most of my books free in return for a review, I feel obligated.  But still overwhelmed.

Van Gogh quilts

Although I always enjoy the photos of the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show and gaze in amazement at the variety and skill represented, this year's Van Gogh exhibit is perhaps my all time favorite.  Kristin Shields has posted some of her favorites here.




More of Kristin's photos can be seen on her blog--not only those of the Van Gogh quilts, but of the scenic little town of Sisters, Oregon and the displays of hundreds of gorgeous quilts.


Outgoing Mail

 Happy Birthday, Max


12 comments:

  1. I have to stop creating every now and then just to get the studio organized and hoed out. A lot of times, this event coincides with an artist's block, so it serves a double purpose. I work through the block and get the studio cleaned as well. Right now I think I have 6 projects in little (neat) piles on tables, waiting to get attended to. They have to be visible so I can 'work' on them in my head while I do something else!
    LOVED the quilts. Always love your mail...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how stopping to clean up and throw out and put away can help get you back in the mood to create! I tend to get involved in multiple projects, too, and yes, they need to be visible to keep my mind considering possibilities! High five, Debra!

      Delete
  2. Could I ever relate to your first paragraph! When the creative juices are flowing strong, it’s like river rafting! Hold on and ride, or risk losing all momentum. Ideas bombard from all directions at once. And then there is so much stuff scattered about that it becomes distracting. Once everything is tidied up and put away, there is a calm that allows me to be open to new ideas. Only another artist would understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bombarding ideas would make a great cartoon! I do love it when things are clean and tidy, but how quickly that can disintegrate when the ideas bombard. :)

      Delete
  3. When I recently hit a pause in my embroidery I found myself Tidying Up, and scared myself back to my frame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! I can't even imagine you making a mess Rachel!

      Delete
  4. Oh heck. Be glad your brain works the way it does because you are so creative. I have that brain that must be neat and organized all the time. It was my greatest gift when I worked, and my worst enemy when I want to make something. I am trying to over come it.

    Thanks for the links to these wonderful quilts. They were mesmerizing, especially Nancy LaPorte's crows.
    xx, Crol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the crow and the raven quilts as well! Of course, looking at all of the quilts at the Sisters Show is such a profusion of ideas, techniques, and skill!

      Delete
  5. I loved the quilts, each one was impressive. Cute card for Max. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outdoor show with all the quilts hung all over town is really something! I would love to see the show in person. :)

      Delete
  6. Jenclair, the mess is part of making and creativity. At least that's what I tell myself. Apparently I'm not alone in that thinking. I also get that overwhelmed feeling and procrastinate even more. I'd sure like to figure out how to fall behind without the added drama. I figure falling behind is going to happen, regardless of what I do. But do I have to have the other stuff as well?
    Sisters is on my must-do list. I was thinking of pushing it this year, but it just couldn't happen. Like you, I want very much to see the show in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess part of the problem with messes is the need to often quit working on a project to get on with the other things that need to be done. It is a balance that keeps tilting, isn't it?

      Someday, maybe we will make the Sisters Show--it would have to be cooler in Oregon, right? It would be hard to imagine an outdoor show in the South in midsummer! :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!