Friday, June 29, 2018

Miscellaneous Musings

Interesting articles:  

In spite of the evidence of the benefits of the arts, it seems that cutting art programs in school continues.   On the positive side, and there are few positive sides now with budget cuts, a British teacher uses her windfall to help put more artists in schools.


For those of you who have loved The Little Prince, the baobab is now becoming an endangered species.

Beautiful images of June's Strawberry Moon.

Mail:  I'm already behind in answering my mail and more has arrived.





Teresa included the envelope below that she made from a
vintage children's book page.

Unwilling to let a good envelope go to waste,
I added a couple of things Teresa included in her envelope
 and sent it off to Connie!  
With that inspiration, I'm working on catching up with my correspondence!
  

What I'm Watching:  In 2012, I read Kate Atkinson's Case Histories.  So many folks loved the book, but for some reason it didn't resonate with me.  However, I've started watching the Amazon television series and love it.  An unusual case of much preferring the television series or movie to the book.

Making:  Have made several more Artist Trading Coins.  Boy, this new trend is all over the internet.  I made a couple in May, then kind of neglected the ones I had in progress, but recently, I've been doing a little more experimenting.  You can find all kinds of tutorials on YouTube, but my favorite is still the Crafty Hodges video. :)



Stay cool and safe over this weekend preceding the 4th of July!

14 comments:

  1. I watched Case Histories a few years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Love the ATCoins you're making. I've gotten a few from my penpals, but I'm resisting going there myself. No new bandwagons for me these days!
    I look forward to that wild envelope coming my way.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Case Histories has been great fun to watch--a mix of quirky and serious that appeals to me. I'm having fun with the ATCoins, but I'm a dilettante and a dabbler...and suffer from the "ooh, let's try that syndrome." :)

      Delete
  2. It's strange how often politicians talk of "evidence-based policies" and then ignore the evidence!

    Still, spreading the idea of creativity around the world in a subversive, extra-curricula fashion is good too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of spreading creative in "a subversive, extra-curricula fashion"! As far as politicians go, I have no faith in any of them working for the common good.

      Delete
  3. I love a visit to your blog. You are always up-to-date on everything art. Of course, it's my first time reading about artists trading coins. I will not jump on board, but I certainly will enjoy them from here. Thanks for all of the thought-provoking shares. They are interesting causing the problem of which do I want to investigate first. Surely, I won't get to all, so determining priority is rather important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! The Arts & Humanities are as important to education (and civilization!) as math and science. They should always be funded...as should libraries!

      Delete
  4. As I recall, I liked the book Case Studies. Cool artist trading coins, interesting concept. Just watched a documentary on the night train mail service in 1930's United Kingdom at Nan's Letters from a Hill Farm . https://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/ I mention it because 1) you introduced me to the poem "Night Train," and since then I've seen reference to it multiple places; 2) I love the concept of snail mail just as I love print newspapers and hard copies of books. I'll be sorry to see old-fashioned mail die away. I imagine I'll continue to send out snail mail for as long as I can. I agree with Mary above, it's interesting to see where your creative energies and talents are focused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you watched the television series? If you liked the book, you will probably like the the tv series! I've watched the documentary you are talking about, Auden's poem was written for the documentary. :) It is sad to think that letters are going to be a thing of the past, isn't it? Most of what lands in our mailboxes is junk mail and ads, even bills are a rare thing these days. Photographs, too, are rare now as most of us live digital lives.

      Delete
  5. I can see how Trading Coins grabbed your attention! I have never been into paper craft and collage but liked the idea of turning them into hang tags. I think the only movie that I enjoyed as much as the book was The Shining. Both VERY scary at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coins do make nice tags--all it takes it a tiny hole and some ribbon or embroidery floss. :) I've never read or seen The Shining, and I think I'm probably in a very small minority on this!

      Delete
  6. These trading coins are so cute! Love the borders you added around them. They really add a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are fun to make and there are lots of video tutorials that give ideas. :)

      Delete
  7. Love the coins! What a clever idea. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every kindergarten kid loves cut and paste. :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!