Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Meditation/Medication

I love this "recipe card" by Julie Kirk of Notes on Paper.  "Medication" comes in many ways!


As always, I love Claudia...

Like Claudia, my cardio may consist largely of books and snail mail, but I have
renewed my yoga practice.  The longest I've gone so far is 10 consecutive days before skipping a day.  I started with a 30 min. practice on January 5, but quickly moved back into an hour practice.  For several years my regular home practice was an hour and fifteen minutes, and a longer, slow practice seems to work better for me.

I'm rolling out my yoga mat each morning and setting the timer for an hour which feels about right, although sometimes I go over the hour.  When I finish, I feel relaxed, but energized.  Tai Chi was the same way, providing that unusual combination of physical and mental relaxation with  a sense of energy.

My goal is to manage 30 consecutive days of practice, but in the 19 days since I started, I've only skipped 4 days and that is encouraging.  Maybe I'll make 30 days at some point, but if can keep up a regular practice, I will be happy.

 I just read through 11 Amazing Thank You Notes from Famous People--if you have time check these out; they are funny and heartwarming. :)

8 comments:

  1. Good to feel you're keeping at it, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm glad to be back to a regular practice!

      Delete
  2. yay for you on establishing a exercise routine. I have never been able to do that at home. I used to stop at the gym on the way home from work to work off stress, but since I retired I let that go.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to get out of a habit, isn't it? For years, I had my home practice and at least three classes a week. Then...well, gradually I abandoned it. I'm hoping to keep up this year and maybe go back to classes as well. :)

      Delete
  3. I would love to learn yoga. Unfortunately, I live "out back of the sticks." Doesn't it feel good to pick up a favorite activity and one that is healthy as well. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I keep my practice pretty gentle right now as I have a rotator cuff injury, so there a couple of asanas that I have to forego or alter. But it does feel good to return to a regular practice!

      Delete
  4. What a gift you're giving yourself. I have certain exercises I have to do twice a day for hip and shoulder. As I do them I try to keep myself in the 'zone', relaxing the rest of my body and definitely my mind. My main source of exercise is walking and again I try to make that as 'mindful' as I can. I admire you being able to spend an hour a day on Yoga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought starting with 30 minutes would be best, but found myself checking the timer! As soon as I moved to an hour or more, I relaxed and got in the zone. Isn't that zone wonderful? In art, craft, or exercise, finding that zone works wonder on mind and body. Both yoga and tai chi are forms of moving meditation, and we know that embroidery, knitting, painting, etc. offer similar help to head and heart.

      Delete

Good to hear from you!