Thursday, February 04, 2016

Journaling and Creating Postal Missives

Before getting involved with A Month of Letters, I was working in a couple of journals, experimenting and playing with ideas.  




Now, my efforts are directed toward keeping up with getting a letter or postcard a day in the mail and trying to have something specific relating to the person I'm writing.  I've actually managed 2 items a day so far this week, but that might set me back later when I run out of names on my list.  

At first, I thought that actually writing the letters might be the hard part. You know, trying to think of something to say.  The letters aren't long, however, and postcards don't have much room. 

I've also found that the writing part a pleasure. Unlike a phone call, there is no awkwardness about being in the middle of something when the phone rings or about saying goodbye.  There is no hurry to type out an email and send it.  I can begin, and pause, take a break and sip my tea, and then come back to the message--even with the limited space on a postcard, I can pause.  

As a result, the process is rather relaxing and enjoyable.  It provides a certain mental connection that is slower in its construction, less immediate than text, email, or phone calls, and I'm finding this an unexpected pleasure--this feeling of having plenty of time to frame a response.

Although A Month of Letters is simply a celebration of correspondence through the mail, I've combined it with Mail Art (and "art" is a relative term) because it is fun to create a postcard or a decorated envelope.  The idea behind AML and MA is pretty much the same:  the work is freely given without any requirements of receiving something in return and there are no judgements about the quality.  

For introverts, correspondence is perfect.  To quote Lord Byron:  "Letter writing is the only device combining solitude with good company."  Writing to someone you like is certainly keeping good company.

Still don't know if I will manage to complete the month; I  prefer my previous method of sending one or two letters a week on one day.  Last summer, I put Wednesday as "Letter Day" on my Google calendar and have receive weekly reminders that are often ignored.  Since I've been writing more in the last couple of months, even I don't write on Wednesday, the notifications keep the idea in my mind.
  
Today is National Mail Carrier Appreciation Day.  My postcard will  be is in the mailbox!  

One day at a time, letter after letter after....







9 comments:

  1. Love the idea of you sitting quietly, playing with paper and pens...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And cutting paper, sewing envelopes, etc. I love that part!

      Delete
  2. I truly love the artwork you're showing here. A big pat-on-the-back for all of your letters and cards. That's quite a big undertaking. Wish I were that ambitious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in that obsessive mode again and having such fun. Thanks, Penny!

      Delete
  3. Everything you wrote about letter writing and mail art resonates with me. Well said! Now about what you wrote that you can't draw. THAT I did not see. I could not draw people like you did without it taking a very long time and an entire eraser and still not be proportionate or even recognizable! I love your drawing. You can mail to me as many times as you like. I'd be perfectly happy helping you fill your mail month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have something heading your way right now! Since I feel free from achieving a standard, I am experimenting with everything. I don't have a clue about what I'm doing, but I love getting even naked envelopes and adore getting decorating ones, so I'm hoping the mail I send will be fun for the recipient. :)

      Delete
  4. I find there's something very 'feel good' about writing correspondence. I usually keep up with people through email but there's something so much more compelling about a written letter isn't there.
    I hope you make your full month. I undertook a personal challenge last month to post vintage sci fi covers, one book per day - and it had to be a book I'd read. I must admit, it was hard work posting each day. I don't think I'd that again for a while!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) And having enough vintage sci fi books that you've read to make it possible! No doubt, even after thinking of the books, finding covers was time-consuming. Posting every day is hard, I've tried it for different challenges in the past, and I don't think I ever made it. You did Carl's challenge for sci fi--are you going to do his fantasy challenge? I usually start that one, read more than enough books, but don't keep up with the posting.

      Delete
  5. I only just made my challenge to be honest! And it was hard work I can't deny it. I will certainly join in with Carl's Once Upon a Time if he's running it this year - I hope so, it fits in fairly perfectly with the type of books I read anyway but also makes me check out other sites too.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!