Tuesday, May 05, 2015

To-Do Lists

I'm a list-maker.  Not a list-completer, but a list-maker.  Sometimes, I really do mark off all the items listed each morning, but not consistently.  Most days, a few items are marked off, a few are neglected, and some days, I add an item to the list that was not there originally, but that I've done--just so I can draw that line through it (laundry, weeded flower bed). 

A few items on the list keep showing up, day after day, and are not marked through (yoga, quilt label, clean closet).  When I manage to finally draw the line through the offending item or chore, I'm inordinately pleased with myself.  With my (now very haphazard) yoga practice, I often manage to get back in the habit for a week or more due to the initial satisfaction of completing one day's practice.  Then, I'm back to skipping a day, then two, then more.

I have my daily journal list, a long-term list, a list of garden chores and plants, a list of ideas for fabric art or dolls, a list of kids' activities....  All of these lists and more are in different notebooks or scraps of paper and referred to occasionally as reminders.

After reading Karen's post, I laughed at the fact that, with the exception of the beanie baby collection, I identified completely with her generalized items.  I'm always wanting to do stuff and a bunch of other stuff.  I frequently move mess from here to there, ponder, and stare at the wall.  As often as not, I get little done except reading and/or playing in my studio.


On the other hand, the list below from Learning Minds 
is probably what I should aspire to.


 In fact, that is the one I am definitely going to use today.  Under Be productive yet calm, I'm going to assume it means to get started on another fidget quilt.
  What's on your to-do list today?


10 comments:

  1. I only use lists when I'm getting ready to entertain or going on a trip, so I don't forget anything important. My non-list today: Read, knit, knit some more, watch/listen to the birds and the wind in the trees, look at the sunset, eat, knit some more, read some more, sleep (eventually.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your list, Debby! Sounds like my actual behavior, if not my lists!

      Delete
  2. Cough. Read. Cough.
    Not demanding, but all I'm fit for right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today we tackled a big To-Do List. I say WE because when it's housekeeping day I assign specific tasks, and with both of us working it goes pretty fast. We have a small house now and we don't have a lot of excess crap--when we moved we kept only what we actually use. It's very calming...clutter makes me edgy.

      Delete
    2. :) I've been reading, too. I never bother putting it on a list--it is always a given!

      Delete
    3. Atta girl, Rian! Divide and conquer!

      Delete
  3. Oh how I loved this posting. I've printed out the second list and it now sits next to my 'silly' card. If I could adhere to both of these I'd probably be the happiest, sanest person on the planet (perhaps I should put that on my list of to-do's).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That list is the kind that calms you instead of worries you! Sometimes my lists increase my stress--that list decreases stress and yet energizes. Perfect companion to your "silly" card!

      Delete
  4. I used to be a list maker....when the boys were young and there were so many things to keep track of. Now I have mental lists, and I lose those! Mostly, I fly by the seat of my pants. Sometimes I'm flying high (studio time); other times I'm flying pretty low (work days) and occasionally I'm somewhere in between (traveling, reading, napping). Hey, there's a list right there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lists are mostly just jottings of things when I think about them or chores that need to be done. Marking them off gives me a sense of accomplishment (if and when I finally do draw that line through them). If I spend some time on Pinterest, I jot down ideas to try. Once again, it is the process (of making the list) that takes priority over the product (completing the list or trying the ideas). :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!