Wednesday, April 01, 2015

April Fool's, Odds and Ends, Books

Bryce Eleanor bugged Amelia for several days about what pranks to pull on April Fool's Day, and Amelia gave this serious thought.  She did something to the faucet so when B.E. went to brush her teeth, the water was blue; Googly Eyes in fridge; a spider in her sandwich and a cotton ball in her cupcake.  School lunch was not what she was expecting.

 

I'm nearly through with fidget quilt #5--as usual, enjoying the process.  I've also taken time to play with scraps, making odds and ends to be used in future projects.


 Advanced Reading Copies that have arrived in the mail.



Read my first book for Carl's Once Upon a Time reading challenge (fantasy, fairy tales, myths, etc.).  This is year #9 for Once Upon a Time--I can hardly believe I've been participating in this challenge for nearly a decade. 

I have some possibilities on my Kindle and will check the library for more.  Love reading fantasy and fairy tales.  There are always great suggestions on other blogs that usually make my list longer than I can accomplish.

 I read  Thorn by Intisar Khanani last year, and it is on a flash sale for 99 cents at Amazon (today only through April 7).  Thorn is a wonderful re-telling of the Goose Girl fairy tale and the money will go to a great cause (more on Intisar's blog):
Nab YA Fantasy novel "Thorn" by Intisar Khanani for 99 cents April 1- 7 and help bring two young brothers home. (Links below.)

Described as "unflinching and exquisite," "Thorn" is a story of choice and betrayal, justice and compassion. Recommended for fans of Robin McKinley and Mercedes Lackey.

All proceeds from this sale will go towards helping a good friend cover the cost of international adoption of a pair of biological brothers with Saethre-Chotzen Syndrome--a condition that results in brain damage unless treated. Evan (age 7) and Raymond (age 9) were each given up at birth, and were unable to receive treatment for their condition. They have been in an orphanage in Eastern Europe since birth. You can find out more about the boys and Jamie, and link to their blog, here:http://reecesrainbow.org/83163/sponsorallison-3

Our goal is to raise $2,000 over the course of the week. International adoption is prohibitively expensive, so every dollar helps. Your help can make it happen! Share, tag, buy, and give "Thorn" as a gift to your loved ones! Anything you're able to do is deeply appreciated.

Thorn will be available at the following retailers:

Amazon (worldwide): http://viewbook.at/Thorn

Barnes & Noble US: http://bit.ly/1Hib5QW

Nook UK: http://bit.ly/1Imn4gN

Google Play: http://bit.ly/1FhcUgY
You can read my review here.  



6 comments:

  1. Love that surprise face: a cotton ball is not what one wants to find in a cupcake! The googly eyes, however, are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, even for me that's a big stack of books to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I didn't request any of the stack of books, I don't know when I'll get around to reading them. I have a bunch of library books, and a long que on my Kindle right now. It is always feast or famine with books!

      Delete
  3. What a fun-filled posting! I loved the google eyes. That's lots of reading -- I follow several of those authors - must be like minds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Penny! I loved the google eyes, too. Amelia had such fun preparing for the pranks that B.E. had begged for. Now that I'm back in the studio, I'm spending less time reading, but I love knowing that I've got plenty of books to keep me busy.

      Delete

Good to hear from you!