Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Left Over Binding

I made my quilt sandwich and did the quilting yesterday.  Then I started wondering about what I'd use to make the binding and discovered that I had made binding for  another  small quilt out of the same fabric as the backing (!) and never used it.  There is more than enough for this little quilt, which was such a pleasant surprise.  

I guess everyone saves left over binding, and fortunately, I didn't use this binding on the quilt it was intended for.  Now, all I have to do is apply the binding, and my first fidget quilt will be complete. Maybe tonight, I'll get the binding on, finishing it by hand because I like the process.

Of course, my mind is already on possibilities for my next effort, and while putting away some of my black and white scraps, I found a bag of blue scraps.  Hmmmm.....
These are some of the scraps from when I made my boro jacket a couple of years ago.  In fact, thinking about the jacket has made me think about another way of making a fidget quilt by applying scrap patches over muslin.
All the patches on the jacket were sewn by hand, which took forever, but suited me at the time.  For a fidget quilt, though, the machine will be fine.  Leaving large margins for fraying when washed to give added texture.  

The biggest problem I have right now is too many ideas and too many possible projects that interest me.  I never did anything with all of Bryce Eleanor's drawings.  Amelia took some, but I have a bunch and can have her make more.  





After my long fallow spell, I finally have a creative interest again.  Well, too many possible projects, but right now, I'm going to concentrate on the first fidget quilt.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think there is such a thing as too many projects. I like to have a variety so that there's always at least the Tricky One and the One I Stitch When The Tricky One Would Be Too Hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the mess that gets to me! I am not so good at cleaning up before switching to the next project. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay for you!!! You're back at it - not only completing your current work but plans for several more. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never explain why my interest in creating disappears, but I'm always happy when it returns!

      Delete
  3. So happy to have you back! I was getting a little worried but I know you come and go on your timetable. I like your fidget quilt, although I have no idea what that could mean. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Mary! Fidget quilts have tactile elements that can give the hands of Alzheimer's patients something to do. The little black and white quilt in the previous post has prairie points and loops and French knots that give textural elements for busy hands and fingers to fidget with. I've finished that one and have another one in progress. I'm loving playing with fabric again!

      Delete

Good to hear from you!