Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I'm baaack...

My gosh! I haven't posted or spent any time on the computer for 2 weeks! Thanks to all of you inquired if everything was OK--everything is fine. I've been very busy, and every free day, I've spent working in the garden. From 7:00 AM 'til 7:00 PM on many days.

I had all the old foundation planting that went in when the house was built removed, and we had flagstone put down in the entry area. Huge old shrubs that were not my favorites to begin with and that were terribly overgrown had to go.

Fee & I had a great time choosing what to put in our new beds. Right now, everything is relatively small and neat, but the shrubs will take off, and I'll have to be careful not to let them get out of hand. When we finished, it looked so nice and neat, I decided to bring the wilderness of the back garden into something more orderly.Because I've neglected things so badly for the last couple of years, this has meant hours and hours of work. Almost my entire back yard is garden...I was trying to eliminate mowing and have almost succeeded.

I've potted up and moved or given away countless plants, dug up and thinned, filled about 10 huge yard bags, and still added plenty to my compost pile.I've made progress, but there is still plenty to do, and it must be done before the heat and humidity get to be too much because then I quit any strenuous out door activity. :)
Now, I've got to find time to answer email and comments and visit blogs...a little at a time.

15 comments:

  1. O it looks so lovely! And here I am waiting for the last frost date. It is usually safe to plant around Mother's Day. Woke up to snow yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! I was wondering where you were, if everything was fine =-) I'm so glad that it was gardening that was keeping you away! Everything looks so nice...such a lot of work!! I have been (very)slowly making progress on a QoV while entertaining a houseguest and getting DD ready for her European adventure...started yoga again and have been walking on alternate days...so hopefully things will be shaping up...including me! =-) So glad to see you back! =-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done -- Looks so nice and neat. Am glad you're back. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopped by to see what was up! Nice "new" yard! I certainly understand the heat and humidity issue--same around here. Garden when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you're back to posting! gardening is sooo much work! i'm such a lazy one-i start all enthusiastic and end up letting things go. oh well-at least i'll have some tomatoes and eggplant when it's time and hopefully, some flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your yard is looking wonderful! I can't wait until the weather is more permitting here...it's been a long winter. There's always so much to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have made some admirable progress, Jen. Things here are still fairly ramshackle but I've been out in the garden beds for at least a little while every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your garden looks lovely. I have been spending lots of time in the garden too - now that the heat and humidity have gone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You have such lovely gardens, and I do love flagstone courtyards. (I had one installed in Albuquerque in the 1980s.) Beautiful!
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jenclair,
    Thanks for visiting! I love your blog and your garden - soooo neat and tidy. Mine has a little way to go! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your garden. Gardening comes and goes and is never complete. One can always find an empty space, a too filled space, or just in need of a change of space. It is therapeutic and fills the soul. Yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. blogging is so hard this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, you really did a great job. i love all the stone you have around everywhere. haven't been blog hopping either. too much of this and that

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see you've been hard at work! Looks good.

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!