Wednesday, August 27, 2008

On Hats and Flawed Ideas and Follow-through

Grandson Max loves hats. He's just turned two, but he evidently has something of his great-grandfather's fondness for head gear. This little camouflage number had Max written all over it - well, after a little fusing and zig zagging, it did. The stitching proved more difficult than I anticipated because of the layers on the brim, but he won't care. It didn't take long and counts as one item I completed today. My original idea concerning the piece below has also presented obstacles. I got this started this morning and then didn't like the direction I'd planned on. Now, I'll have to re-think .

Kim's (Skybell Arts) Living Consciously segment of her blog always interests me. On a recent post the practice said to identify one thing you'd love to do...do it.

I began pondering all of the things I say I'd love to do, but never get around to doing. Sometimes I'm afraid of beginning something I don't know much about, sometimes it seems that I would need to buy a bunch of stuff to get started, sometimes the project just seems too large or requires planning I'm not willing to engage in (planning is not a strong point in my life). Is it fear or laziness or having so many things already on my agenda -- that prevents me from going forward?

That question deserves more thought....

Picked up my new and stronger dosage of Levothyroxin today, the second increase this summer-- so more blood work in a month. That will be just fine if my energy pattern improves.

Pondering and looking for creative solutions to flawed ideas later...after my nap.

6 comments:

  1. Every stage of quilting or sewing seems to have its required thinking and doing to get it right. For me, it depends on my mood. I seem to cycle through the stages in various ways. Your projects always have a wonderful warm loving feel to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of all the things one would love to do is exhausting... I can see how a nap would be in order ;)!!

    good luck with the medication increase....

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoops - forgot I was signed on as my alterego....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debra - You are so right about cycling through different projects in different stages. Things rarely go as planned down to the last detail, and my planning is always vague, but I do have something in mind when I begin. Sort of. :)

    minerva mouse - It is exhausting, isn't it? The nap didn't actually materialize, but I did leave the thinking alone for a while!

    I almost began with a comment about another "mouse" - but then saw the next comment about the alter ego.

    Now, I've discovered another wonderful blog that you have undertaken, Kimy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must give credit Gay Hendricks' book - A Year of Living Consciously - I've been following his daily practice throughout 2008. With only four more months, I'll need to find another obsession for 2009!

    I use to think that if I was really good at time management I could do everything. Now, it's all about energy management and the process... but mostly just (re)learning how to play.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim - It has been an interesting undertaking, and I've enjoyed thinking about several of the exercises you've discussed. I've enjoyed The Mindful Woman, too, although I misplace it frequently! Not too mindful, obviously.

    I'm still working on time management - procrastination and displacement activities wreak havoc with my good intentions.

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!