Tuesday, October 09, 2007

A time for every purpose under the sun

My embellisher may be somewhere in Tennessee. (Say Hello to Jane Ann, little embellisher!) Melanie at the Sewing Center promises it will be here tomorrow. No time for it tomorrow.

Aunt Mary always said that when she could no longer play at the church on Sunday, she might as well die. She retired from playing, had a wonderful service honoring her and a lovely reception afterwards, was in the hospital within a week, then to a nursing home, then to the hospice in El Dorado. A total of 5 weeks. The funeral is tomorrow. I worked through my grief last week, but seeing that generation go is so difficult. She touched the lives of so many people, however; so many piano students, so many choirs-both school and church, so many students during her 40 years teaching music in Bienville Parish... and every one in a positive way.

The funeral will be tomorrow and will be almost all music. That is quite appropriate.

Amelia's Baby Shower is Saturday. Erin and her family will be back in town. Things are moving along on the camp at Raft Bayou.

"To every thing there is a season, a time for every purpose under the sun..."

I love Olivia! The books are wonderful and now how about this cool fabric?


The Uncommon Quilter - Jeanne Williamson - very cool

10 comments:

  1. Jen, I'm so sorry for your loss. Most of my mother's sisters and brothers have died and it's so sad. I really miss them, they were often infuriating but always comforting. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loss, for me it was a cat, my last pet.... yesterday. it's the same. life is such an undefinable thing.
    the video, everyone is making video, i am actually not sure how i feel about that, but i love your blog. and life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh No !
    My sincere condolences and blessings to you and your family. Yes, it is hard to lose those who hold our memories....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is THAT what that was that flew past my left ear this morning??? Whew. Honey, it oughta be there soon by the looks of how fast that thing was goin'!

    I know how you feel about "that generation" leaving us. Partly because the next one will be MINE. Sounds like she lived a grand life, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe it was Alex Haley who said for every elder who passes on we loose an entire library of knowledge. Peace and blessings to you during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deborah - Thanks. It is hard losing the aunts and uncles; especially Mary who had such a presence in our lives. Such a tiny woman; such a big impact.

    Had to mile at "often infuriating" --one of my mother's sisters is so deaf that communication with her is a trial. Mother used to get off the phone with this aunt, shaking her head, and looking drained.

    jude - I am so sorry about your cat. Yes, grief over the loss of such a close companion is palpable.

    I have been interested in Williamson's experimental quilts for several years. She makes 52 small quilts a year, one for each week. They are all small and each year have a particular measurement and goal. I admire her commitment. As for the video--it is funny to realize the progression of the internet phenomenon - from lists, to forums, to sites that host pictures, to blogs, to blogs with lots of pictures, to slide shows, to videos. What is new is quickly taken for granted and not always even necessary, but I admit to being a video fanatic. :)

    Marie - I so regret not asking enough questions of all of them. Each of us cousins have a our own limited bank of memory, none complete, none completely accurate. I like that phrase, "those who hold our memories."

    Jane Ann - The damn thing must have decided to go on tour...no message on my answering machine when I got home yesterday. What embellisher?

    "...the next one will be mine." Oh, yes, our own mortality enters in, doesn't it?

    Karoda - Thanks for the peace and blessings and for Haley's words, "an entire library of knowledge."

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry to read about aunt mary. I'm sure the service was beautiful with so much music. I remember a previous post about her...a special spirit.

    I have to find some of that olivia fabric for the stash...it's as delightful as the books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sorry to read about aunt mary. I'm sure the service was beautiful with so much music. I remember a previous post about her...a special spirit.

    I have to find some of that olivia fabric for the stash...it's as delightful as the books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. kimy - Aunt Mary has been in several posts over the years; she and Laddie were very close.

    Isn't the Olivia fabric terrific?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh I've been off a while, I had to backtrack to here to pick up where I last read you. Sorry about your loss. It sounds like Aunt Mary went out the way she wanted to though. Poor aunt Ethel has been wishing herself dead for at least 3 years now. Sometimes it's a blessing.

    Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!