Saturday, October 13, 2007

Red Hills and Meditations

The scraps from squaring the fabric and the cut off ends of Mila's pencil roll became a little landscape using Nellie's method again. Quick and fun to do, I cut a wavy edge all around then satin stitched.

It reminds me of the lines from Dylan Thomas' A Child's Christmas in Wales where he is relating the gifts he received:

"...and a painting book in which I could make the grass, the trees, the sea and the animals any colour I pleased, and still the dazzling sky-blue sheep are grazing in the red field under the rainbow-billed and pea-green birds."

I wish I'd thought of it as I was working on it because I would have included the "sky-blue sheep and pea-green birds."

Today will be another full and busy day with Amelia's baby shower (Mila will be going with us) and an afternoon/evening cookout at Raft Bayou. I have a dozen things left to do before the shower, but I found this site for prayers, meditations, adorations, and celebrations and wanted to include the following:

Here is one of the meditations:

Prayers of Meditation

Life is short and we have not too much time
for gladdening the hearts of those
who are traveling the dark way with us.
Oh, be swift to love! Make haste to be kind.

henri-frederic amiel - 1885

Isn't that beautiful?

And this Invocation:


Prayers of Celebration

All shall
be well,
and all shall
be well,
and all manner
of thing
shall be well.

dame julian of norwich - 14th century - mystic

10 comments:

  1. Perfect sentiments to calm a frenetic day!Thanks for sharing these wonderful bits of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that web site. I need to keep it handy..

    I made a little quilt using Nellie's method too. I'll post it tomorrow along with another of the Alzheimer's quilts I'm making.

    My effort is either a work of art or a big mess, not sure which. I'll let you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet landscape.

    bless you for the link!

    namaste

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me of that wonderful prayer of Dame Julian. I'm going to put that in my Bible so I can read it from time to time. Love that landscape and the quotation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great fun to see what you're coming up with thanks to your new toy. Love Dylan Thomas intensely. Also bookmarked the link ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie - They do have a calming effect, don't they? I love the brevity and efficiency of both of them.

    Deborah - You haven't posted your little quilt yet, but I'll be back to check again later. :)

    kimy - I knew you'd like the link since you always have such great quotes posted. namaste.

    Fran - Dame Julian's prayer is simplicity itself- elegant, spare, and joyful.

    Acey - The little landscape is just machine stitched; I still have not had time to play with the embellisher for more than a few minutes at a time. It just happened to arrive during one of those cycles when I have little time at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the Julian of Norwich meditation. I try to use that sometimes, because I certainly need it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. kay -- Yes...it is a comforting refrain, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delightful! I'm happy to have inspired your technique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nellie - I love using up the tiny scraps and edges!

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!