Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A Felt Box and Tips for Dryer Sheets

The piece of felt in yesterday's post just didn't appeal to me. So, as I was browsing on line for something to do with it, I found Homework: Create Every Day where there are all sorts of neat ideas for felting, including this felt box and a tutorial. She also has lovely boxes and other cool stuff on Flickr.

Perfect! I add a little decoration with the embellisher, sew some seams, make a box, and feel much better about that "uninspired flat felt" --which now serves a purpose. And I've a new spot for inspiration! The box isn't as lop-sided as it looks; I took the picture at an angle and didn't straighten it up.
I love lists like this: 25 Alternative Uses for Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets. I actually thought
every single one was good, although in some cases I'd definitely use sheets that had already done their dryer duty because the smell would be too much. Here is one that might be useful and could certainly be used full-strength:

2. Keep bugs away: Tuck some in your picnic basket or under lawn furniture to repel bees from your juicy flesh and encourage them back to the flowers, where they belong. You can also rub a sheet directly on your bare skin to discourage would- be buggers from leaving their mark.


and

21. Repel rodents: Use dryer sheets to keep out mice, skunks, squirrels, rats, etc from your basement, garages, boats, campers, and clubhouses.

(I'm trying this #21 this morning. Squirrels are digging in my flower pots; let's see if a dryer sheet or two might discourage them. And rabbits? Would this work with rabbits? What a garden lifesaver! Maybe cutting little pieces staking them around the garden would be a deterrent to squirrels and rabbits...)


6 comments:

  1. i am off to discourage some mice....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!!!!!!! I wish I'd known this after the huge mouse debacle when I got back to my little NY house in June...they really did think they owned the place...and I guess they did while I was away for the winter...I will definitely keep this one in mind for the future!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful! However, the dryer sheets do not work as an insect repellent, I have tried it several times. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. jude -- Hope it works! I'm hoping the squirrels hate it.

    Quiltnbee -- I remember the mouse debacle! Dryer sheets would be a lot better than traps or poison...if they work.

    Rissa -- Oh, well. I noticed it said bees, not mosquitoes, but so little discourages mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link jenclair! Your box is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. kneek -- :) I'm glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!