Friday, February 16, 2007

More on Bembo


My friend Thomas informed me that Bembo's Zoo from yesterday's post refers to Cardinal Pietro Bembo for whom the type face Bembo was named. His love letters to (of all people) Lucrezia Borgia have been published in The Prettiest Love Letters in the World: Between Lucrezia Borgia and Pietro Bembo.

Cardinal Bembo, Aldus Maniutius (the first typographer to use a semicolon), and Francesco Griffo (the first modern type designer; invented the Bembo typeface and the italic style) are the subjects of one of Thomas' lectures so I Googled to find out more.

Portrait of the young Pietro Bembo by the young Raphael.

I started this post last night, but here I am on a Saturday afternoon catching up. Took Laddie to the Bossier Arts & Crafts Show this morning, then to lunch, then to grocery store, and am back home. Last weekend, we went to the Leyendecker exhibit at the Norton Gallery because he didn't want to make the weekly drive in the country. I was surprised that he didn't want to go today either, but we spent a busy morning anyway. Last Saturday afternoon, we got caught in all of the detours for the Mardi Gras parade, and I'm glad that I'll miss all of that traffic today. They have been lined up on East Kings since early this morning with all of their huge barbecue pits smoking up a storm.

Since Helen is there to make sure he gets supper and his meds, this will be my first Saturday afternoon and evening at home in a long time, and instead of making use of it, I'm feeling quite lazy.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, it's OK to be lazy every now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being lazy and doing nothing are fine ways to make use of your down-time.

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!