Thursday, May 18, 2006

"Words, words, words" to quote Hamlet

"Blue/Black Salvia" or "Black and Blue Salvia" ...

Are you ever curious about where/when a word originated? I love it when I find a word's etymology. In reading a novel yesterday the word perquisite was used in a sentence whose context revealed its meaning. So this is where the word "perk" comes from...I never even thought to wonder, but it was self-evident.

per·qui·site (pĆ»rkw-zt)
n.
1. A payment or profit received in addition to a regular wage or salary, especially a benefit expected as one's due. See Synonyms at right.
2. A tip; a gratuity.
3. Something claimed as an exclusive right: "Politics was the perquisite of the upper class" Richard B. Sewall.

[From Middle English perquisites, property acquired otherwise than by inheritance, from Medieval Latin perqustum, acquisition, from Latin, neuter past participle of perqurere, to search diligently for : per-, per- + quaerere, to seek.]

Last night, a wonderfully relaxing and enjoyable dinner with Amelia, Big Chris, and his parents, Bill and Linda. We sat outside at the Olive Street Bistro, visited, and gobbled up appetizers and entrees; I wish I'd thought to take my camera.

2 comments:

  1. Love the flowers. I'm a gardening fool (meaning I fool the plants and skip watering every now and then). All of your flowers are different than mine here so it's very interesting to see the fine photos.

    I have a red amarillys (sp?) blooming under the bamboo and can't quite get the camera in there. Daisies, Cosmos, geraniums, roses, gerbera daisies, mexican heather, potatoe vine, perennial morning glory, honeysuckle and more are blooming. I'll have to get some pictures.

    Love your banner. Where is the other one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, blogging has made me more aware of documenting my life with photos...I've always had a love for old photos and someday the ones I'm taking will be old to someone else and I hope just as precious.

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!