Thursday, May 11, 2006

Tired, but pleased...


When asked why he missed Tai Chi on Tuesday night, Thomas replied that he had been taking part in National Shrub Trimming Day. Unaware of this year's schedule, I failed to participate. (You could have told me, Thomas.) At any rate, better late than never--I had my own Local Shrub Trimming Day today. I was the lone participant on my street, but there are two large piles waiting for pick up!


Yesterday, despite the threat of rain, I mowed and edged...front and back. So today, I trimmed trees and shrubs, pulled ivy (3 kinds), pulled lemon balm and mint, cut back or pulled 3 kinds of artemesia, removed and disposed of old lattice and trellis, completely cut down the climbing rose that forced me off the side walk on the side of the house, and took out a section of picket fencing. One benefit was the wonderful scents of mint, lemon balm, rose, and artemesia. Now, too tired to go to Tai Chi tonight myself, I'm indulging in a glass of Pinot Grigio and anticipating a hot bath and reading in my pajamas until time for bed.

9 comments:

  1. Doh! It's so easy to skip out on taiji b/c someone else is! :) I should know as I've been skipping out on formal training for the past 18 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yard looks great. I really appreciate a nice garden. I live in central Texas and am sad to say I lost my lemon balm, 3 out of four grapevines and apparently all my strawberries to the drought. I blame my sandy yard for part of it. I moved here four years ago and have struggled, but this year is really mean. I envy you having finished the trimming. I will attempt this weekend myself if weather permits. I will hit the nursery this weekend for more Lemon balm. It is my favorite scent. My mints are the only thing thriving. It sounds like you earned that glass of wine. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your garden looks great and i thing working in a garden is very good for body and minde

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lot of work! It looks great though, well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful yard! Worth all that hard work. I love to trim herbs too because of the lovely scents. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't live in your neighborhood, but I'm glad to know I took part in something. The 11th we trimmed bushes and trees and got 5-40 gallon bags, and yesterday, the same process and we got another 6-40 gallon bags. The yard looks better, but not nearly as pretty as yours. We just moved back to our house after renting it out for 2 1/2 years, and plus we've been having a drought, thus it is overgrown and brown. Yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wujimon: I'm really good at skipping out on lots of things!

    Bogart: Good luck at the nurseries this weekend.

    Emmy: Thanks, and I love your beautiful garden!

    Deb: Hard work is good for me, just not too often.

    Jen (Scrapmaker): I do love the smell of the mints and other scented herbs. That they grow like weeds and have to be pulled to leave room for other things is actually a blessing.

    Anonymous: Sounds as if you really got a lot done, so Congratulations! Your participation is deeply appreciated by your yard and your neighbors! I've received verbal commendations for the improvement, myself, even if I did solicit some of them! Me: "Well, what d'ya think? Better, huh?" Them: You betcha'! And it's about time!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A glass of pinot grigio, a hot bath, and reading in pajamas: sounds like my vision of paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a glass of pinot grigio: that's the second time I've read about this and I think it's high time I tried it. But after a day of work like you described and a hot bath, it would take me about 2 seconds to fall asleep. Beautiful photos and the garden looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!