Monday, March 13, 2006

Sunday Art Date and ...

Laddie (my father) and I went to the Norton Art Gallery yesterday. I had not been in several years and thought it would be a good way to spend the afternoon. We especially enjoyed the Spectacular Achievements: Audubon Animals of North America, a project that John James Audubon undertook in 1839 in collaboration with the Rev. John Bachman, a trained naturalist. Audubon was "the first person to discover the existence of the black-footed ferret" which is now an endangered species and discovered 15 new birds as well. In 1845, the first volume of Quadrupeds was published, the second followed in 1845, and in 1854, the final volume was published. Unfortunately, Audubon died in 1851 and didn't see the final work. Laddie and I thoroughly enjoyed this exhibit, taking our time and reading the descriptions.

We also enjoyed the Rodin's, but Laddie loves the Remington's (especially the lost wax bronze sculptures) and the work of Charles M. Russell. The Norton has a wide variety of work (American and European) but Western art was the original focus.

I decided to take off the additions (thanks to all who commented) and leave "Wind and Water" in its simpler form. Put it through the washer and dryer to get the added texture and homey look of all the wrinkles, but otherwise, nothing new.
























This is a scrappy thing, 5.75 x 13.5, that has sparkly net over it and lots of metallic thread. "Solar Flares in a Strange Climate."









Working on a silly, child-like piece right now inspired by Jerry Wray's Lake People from the Folk Art exhibit. The figure is very simple and similar to some I used several years ago in mail art, but more in nature theme. Still making decisions on borders and a few details.

6 comments:

  1. I love Wind and Water without the extra stuff. It has an almost Asian feel to it now.

    I love the little Solar Flares piece too! It has a joyous energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "a silly, child-like piece" sounds fun. Hope you show us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both of these pieces. The Wind and Water piece does look better without the ribbons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Solar Flares in a Strange Climate - it looks as if it came straight from your spirit without too much thought to slow it down.

    Thank you for the introduction to Charles M. Russell's work. I was enjoying some Rodins myself at the weekend, in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DebR - thanks! It is better without the additions, I think.

    Good to hear from you, Helen. You've been too quiet lately, but you've obviously been busy with some interesting and challenging projects!

    Thanks, Micki. The "ditch the ribbon thingies" was pretty much a given after reading the comments!

    Right, Omega, Solar Flares was very quick and fun.
    I enjoy looking at the Western art (and the Audubons) mostly because I love imagining seeing some of these wonderful sights and trying to paint them under the most difficult circumstances. No hotels, no cars. Carrying your equipment by horseback, sleeping rough, eating who knows what...and still producing art. Dedication, courage, and stamina required!

    Oh, Mary, you have no idea! When I get home, I consume a good bit of wine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new Solar Flares piece, the forms, the energy, the spontaneity. Wind and Water has a lovely serene feel.

    Thanks for sharing the poetry and reminding me how important it is to spend time reading it. I did remember some of the selections you shared. Jen

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!