Friday, July 29, 2005

Quilting

Pat Dolan began a discussion about quilting on QA that really appeals to me, and I hope the thread develops further.

Sometimes a piece that I don't like will be transformed in a positive way when quilted, but the converse is also true: frequently a piece that I am pleased with will turn out badly or lose its charm when quilted. The reason, I think, is that I don't really have the vision, experience, and skill to use the quilting to enhance the piece. When it works, it is purely accidental. I have trouble with all phases of the quilting - the vision, first and foremost, as I don't have it; the skill; the choice of thread, the total amount of quilting. This final phase is crucial and can make or break a piece, and on a piece I like, the quilting holds much trepidation for me and no sense of confidence.

I love looking at the quilting of others who manage to do this well and try to absorb the elusive intent involved, but the vision in my own work...escapes me.

1 comment:

  1. I could have written this about my own quilting skills, so I totally relate to what you've stated. I hope to take a quilting workshop from Caryl Fallert Bryer in January.

    The 2 pieces below are fabulous, especially Sonji's piece. It would be interesting to see that same design on a larger scale.

    ReplyDelete

Good to hear from you!